The full title of today’s prompt is ‘Favourite movies you never get sick of watching’. I don’t have a lot of time to sit and watch a full movie these days. Or if I do, there’s a pretty good chance I’ll have nodded off half way through. However, there are quite a few that I have loved for a long time, and could watch and re-watch over over. In no particular order….
- Stand By Me. This was my absolute favourite film when I was about 13. I love Stephen King and this film is based on one of his less scary stories. And it has River Phoenix in, before all the drugs and the dying. And Kiefer Sutherland. Poignant, with a great soundtrack, I still sob at the end now.
- Pretty Woman. I don’t think the sleaziness of this struck me when I first saw this as a teen. Now I watch it and think ‘eeeuw!’ rather than, ‘awwww, sweet!’ And yet, I still know all the dialogue, sing the songs and get swept up in it all.
- Dirty Dancing. Because what 30-something doesn’t wish she was Baby?
- Some Like it Hot. I was introduced to Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon by my best friend at school when I was about 14. I love how silly this film is, and how beautiful Marylin Monroe is.
- The Commitments. I just love singing along to the soundtrack. Simple as.
- Labyrinth. I’ve had a thing for David Bowie ever since seeing this film as a kid, and there’s just something about him as Jareth, the Goblin King. And there’s those very tight leggings.
- Finding Nemo. I could have picked several Disney/Pixar films. I love Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King amongst others. But I do love Finding Nemo, and I think I liked Finding Dory even more (but have only seen it once so far)!
- Grease. Is there a woman alive who doesn’t love Grease?! I always wanted to be Rizzo.
- The Shawshank Redemption. Another childhood favourite based on a Stephen King story. Morgan Freeman is just ace, isn’t he?
- 10 Things I Hate About You. Because, Heath Ledger. RIP.
Like my TV post, I could probably go on and on. I watched a lot of films in my younger years. These, however, are those that stick in my mind when asked.