Are you a morning person, or a night owl? Or, perhaps, like me, you’re not really either anymore! I used to be a real morning person; I loved getting up early to start my day and felt like I was really making the best use of my time. Then I had kids. Sleepless nights arrived in my life and my energy and enthusiasm packed their bags and left.
I still get up early, but not through choice (and by early, 5am is pretty standard, thanks to Small!). But, after often restless nights, I feel so sluggish in the mornings now, so I’ve started trying a few things to encourage my get-up-and-go to actually get up, and I thought I’d share them with you so you too can jump-start your mornings in just 15 minutes.
1. If you’re blessed to have kids who sleep, set your alarm for 10 minutes before you’d usually get up.
2. Get out of bed and stretch gently.
3. Pop the kettle on, or fire up your coffee machine.
4. While the kettle does its thing, put on some energising music – whatever floats your boat. Use headphones if you don’t want to wake anyone else. Boogie.
5. Drink. Hot water and lemon is great first thing for giving you a boost, but if you must have your caffeine fix, then do.
6. Do some affirmations. What do you want or need to achieve today? Say it out loud. Write it down.
7. Take a cool shower, or, if you don’t have time, wash your face with cool water.
8. Sing! Once everyone else is waking up, put the radio on and sing heartily (and if they’re not waking up, they soon will be!).
Do this every day and it will become routine. You’ll find yourself looking forward to the mornings with much more enthusiasm and you’ll start the day like a boss. Who knows? The rest of the family might start joining in too. 6am disco in the kitchen, anyone?
If you liked my ideas on how to jump-start your mornings in 15 minutes, take a look at my post on how to keep your New Year resolutions!