So, I have been
officially unemployed a stay-at-home-mum for around a month now. I’d love to say that my house is now a gleaming, minimalist haven of domesticity, but I’d be lying through my teeth. And I have kids, so it’s never going to be that.
- The Hubby is off work at the moment. This makes it difficult to get into any sort of proper routine with regards to my day. I mean, it’s like having another child at times, isn’t it?
- I have had quite a bit to do with Small – meetings, visiting schools and so on. This is one of the reasons I gave up work in the first place.
- The weather. Is crap. It doesn’t inspire me to throw open the windows and get cleaning; all I want to do is wrap up warm on the sofa with a hot cuppa and watch Phil ‘n’ Holly. I can’t be arsed to clear out and load up the car for tip trips in the piddling rain.
- Food. I have managed to go out for a few breakfasts and lunches with family and friends. It’s so nice to be able to be sociable, but it does nothing for my housework. And until I do the housework I can’t invite people round – it’s a catch 22!
- Shopping. Christmas is coming. Not that I’ve really made a dent in my present shopping. I’m getting a bit worried now. Thank goodness for Amazon Prime. But I have been Elf shopping!
- Sleep. Having child-free mornings after a particularly bad night/early start is just too tempting, and, I will admit, I have, on a few occasions, crawled back under the duvet once they’re safely dispatched to school.
- Blogging. I am really trying to make a go with writing, both on this blog and on my original blog, which are very different. I have also been lucky enough to receive some different things to review and give away and I am working hard to make a success of it. I don’t want to make money from it – yet – but, if it turns out that I’m not too shabby at it, it’s an option for the future. And it’s bloody hard work! I sit down with the laptop, start writing and, before I know it, it’s time to go and fetch Small from Nursery!
I’m not going to lie – not having to go to work every day is lovely. I don’t have to think too much about what to wear, doing my hair and makeup or where the kids have to be and when. I can write a to-do list and do it (I can, but that doesn’t always mean I do…). But I feel lazy! I have definitely put on weight in the last six weeks or so. I’m not moving anywhere near as much and I’m eating more biscuits. And mince pies. That’s something I’ll definitely have to work into my timetable in the new year (moving more, not mince pies!)